Thanks to aggressive sales reps from HubSpot, Pardot, Act-On, Marketo, and others, many businesses get excited about B2B marketing automation software. It’s the definition of the proverbial “shiny object.”
However, the vast majority of businesses, especially SMBs, are not ready to take advantage of marketing automation software and its myriad features. Why?
When Marketing Automation Makes Perfect Sense
- You have a written marketing plan at least for this year that connects the dots between your financial goals and marketing activities
- You have a website that already generates good search engine rankings for keywords and subsequent lead generation
- You have good website content and some higher level marketing collateral (e.g. white papers, case studies)
- You have an editorial calendar that also includes some webinars and at least one experienced writer to create it
- You have a targeted list of prospects from 50 to 2,000 per target market
- You have an inside sales rep(s) proactively follows up email opens,
When successful, marketing automation software can take your business-to-business (B2B) marketing and lead generation to the next level. Marketing automation can also cost you at least $7,000 to $15,000 per year and not produce a single lead.
So, how do you avoid an epic fail?
Don’t Believe the Hype
Remember Public Enemy? Before you fall for the hype, take a good look at your business to see if you’re ready for marketing automation. Even the most amazing software tool can’t help someone that without a written marketing plan, a compelling website and content that resonates with your target market.
I’m reminded of one of our clients that spent $10,000 on HubSpot and never used it because they had a dated WordPress website (actually blacklisted by Google because it got hacked and contained malware), and they had no one on staff that could write up a web page,… Continue Reading >>