The book Tested Advertising Methods by John Caples is an all-time classic and must read for all marketing professionals.
Though first published in 1932, the fifth edition has been updated so that its even more relevant today and, in our opinion, is relevant for every blog post title and meta description, email campaign subject line and preview test, Google AdWords and other pay-per-click ads, company tag lines, as well as in today’s advertising headlines.
Why is this book so good? Because it takes a simple and powerful approach to writing headlines and other copywriting that generates leads and other results.
3-Step Approach to Headline Creativity
For example, here are John Caples’ three-step approach to creativity:
- Capture the Prospects Attention: nothing happens unless something in your ad, your mailing, or your commercial makes the prospect stop long enough to pay attention to what you say next
- Maintain the Prospect’s Interest: keep the ad,
In order to turn blogging into a lead generating machine for our business-to-business (B2B) clients, a lot goes into every single blog post and web page that we create.
For the vast majority of our clients, weekly blogging can turn into gains of over $100,000 in new business per year.
Recipe for Success
Here’s the recipe for a successful B2B marketing and lead generation effort:
- We thoroughly research all relevant keywords (usually at least 700) and prioritize the top 1, 3, 10 keywords to focus all content generation, organic search and paid search initiatives
- We evaluate our client’s website to see how all existing content can be optimized so they get a lot more lead generation from what they already have, then implement a new website content strategy and implement the optimization
- We brainstorm and prioritize an editorial content calendar that maps out what we will write and when,
Web designers are a dime-a-dozen. A commodity. It seems everyone and their brother can create a new website these days. So what differentiates one from another? It’s the difference between website development and web design. One generates leads. One will leave you thinking that marketing doesn’t work.
Far too many web designers place style over substance, masking a lack of quality content with a few lines of code. Or they make you to write everything yourself—and you’ve got a business to run. They also claim to offer SEO services but often lack an understanding of current best practices, or utilize black hat SEO practices that can get you blacklisted by Google and Bing. To truly generate high Google rankings and to turn visitors into customers, your website needs to engage users visually, deliver compelling content and deliver effective SEO.
Writing that Works in Addition to Pixel-Perfect Design
As a truly full-service marketing company,